NORCAL GRC Field Skills and Drills Day – November 19, 2017
Date: Sunday, November 19, 2017 – Rain or Shine!
Time: We start running dogs at 8:30 am. Please arrive by 8:00 am to sign in and air your dogs. Plan on staying through the early afternoon.
Location: CRTA Denverton Training Grounds, T1, Suisun City
Cost: $5.00 per dog, checks payable to NORCAL GRC.
Guest Trainer: Debbie Tandoc
Scroll Down for all the Details
You and Your Dog at the Line
Skills and Drills to Improve Communication and Cooperation
Join us for a Field Training Day to focus on skills every team needs to succeed.
30 min Discussion and Demonstration of critical core field skills.
- What are the Assumptions and Expectations on the part of the Dog
- Is the dog’s attitude different at different destinations/venues/home?
- Discipline and Focus on the Handler’s part – the other part of the Equation
- Where the focus (or the dog’s mindset) begins:
- Before getting out of the crate (collaring/leashing) verbal cues
- Airing (under control or not) at home?
- In the holding blind
- On the line
- How to Help your Dog on the Line:
- Lining up the spine
- Head Swinging
- Verbal Communication/Cues
- Factors in the Field that Create Challenges
Drills/Skills – Lifetime of repetition and Variation (with and without visible markers):
- Wagon Wheels
- Casting – 8 handed
- Marking and Lining Drills (too numerous to list)
- Online Reference – http://www.kwicklabs.com/drills.htm
Please RSVP to Debbie Tandoc no later than 3 days prior to event to ensure enough equipment is available. All information for the event will be e-mailed upon receipt of RSVP.
Training Day Details
General Items to Bring
- Shade and/or rain protection for your dogs’ crate
- Water for you and your dog
- Lunch for you
- Towels for muddy dogs and yourself
Equipment you need to Bring
- Training Whistle
- Duck Call
- Folding Chair
- Ear protection (simple ear plugs work)
- Warm clothing and rain gear if needed. Layers work very well.
- Rain boots for muddy walks out into the field to throw
- Walkie Talkie Radio
- JH and higher levels should have these already
- Blank Pistol and ammunition
- JH and higher levels should plan on purchasing these, if you haven’t already
This is a Norcal Golden Retriever Club training day, so there are no guest fees for Denverton CRTA. However, if you are not a Denverton CRTA member, you will need to sign a hold-harmless form. (If you are a member, but have not signed a form this year, you will also need to sign one.) You will find the hold harmless form here.
Please stay on the gravel road and do NOT try to drive around puddles on the side of the road. If you get stuck in the mud and have to have a tow truck come, it is very, very, very expensive and AAA will not come out. In addition, you are responsible for costs to repair any damage to the grounds due to your vehicle.